Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Paris Blogs

As promised, I am writing to tell why I started to read blogs about Paris, a city I have never been and probably never want to go to.

Back in 2007 I used to read http://www.gringoes.com/ religiously. I love Brazilian culture and the language. They have a great segment everyweek called "Brazil Through Foreigners Eyes" where they interview a foreigner who chose to come to Brasil to live or work and find out what made them fall in love with the place so much they wanted to live there. I think I wanted to be one of those people but never got up the courage to do what they did. I can not leave the East Coast of the U.S. It's my home. I tried to do it once for a year and I missed everything there was to miss.

Anyway, one day on the website I started reading a blog written by someone who called himself Kermit the Vlog. Because he is French (get it?) and was writing a video blog. Anyway, he had links to blogs he followed that were fellow Parisians or should I say fellow ex-pats living in Paris who wrote about life being an ex-pat in Paris. One of these blogs was Petite Anglaise. I started to follow her trials and tribulations a little late in the game but found out how she started and wound up writing her blog, etc, etc. She no longer blogs but it made me seek out more Parisian ex-pat bloggers to get a feel and live vicariously through them I suppose.

But, this only recently started to fade for me. I used to read a whole pile of ex-pat Parisian blogs. Right now, I only read one. I think I would love Paris. It's a city after all, with tons going on.

But it got me started reading Brooklyn blogs and it turns out, I can relate to these a bit better than those Parisian ones. Not sure why it took me traveling south of the equator then across the pond to realize the obvious but I'm never one to make things easy, always gotta complicate shit and confuse the issues :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment