Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Sidewalks Part I

So, let this be the first of probably many a rant about sidewalks. Cities have 'em, suburbs don't really, depending where you are and what the county wants to spend on infrastructure. When I first came to this state, from NYC, I had very little suburban exposure. "Where are the sidewalks?", I exclaimed to no one in particular every chance I could get. Why do I have to take my life in my hands everytime I want to cross the street?

Here's an example:

My freshman year at college I offered to look in on someone's dog while they were away. I decided instead of taking the bus to be dropped off after a class outing (extracurriculalr activity) and drop in on the dog that way. Well, as part of maybe another future post, the dog was not too keen on me coming into his house since stupidly the owner never introduced me to him and said (and I ") Oh, he'll be fine. Alex. The Samoyed. Samoyeds are not come-right-in-and-sit-down-you-look-tired-have-a-seat-in-my-house kind of dogs. He barked, and growled. He stood in the doorway looking mean. I put my hand out for him to smell, and he bit me. Great!

Here I am several miles from campus, bleeding. Hole in the sleeve of my cool NYC flight jacket. Damn! I have to WALK back to campus. So I head back up the main road. Guess what? No sidewalks!!!

Not only was I bleeding from my hand but I had to risk my life on the road side of route 1 near dusk, not very visible to cars on the road, in my green NYC cool flight jacket (thinking back I should have turned it inside out, it was safety orange on the inside :-). Lots of cars flashed their lights at me, yeah yeah I know, but well I don't have a car, I ain't waiting for a bus and I can't call anyone since in 1992 the only people with cell phones were doctors and drug dealers. So I plodded on...for about 2.5 miles...in the dark.

Anyway, I trekked back to campus, stopping first at the local bar, the first and only time I ever went into this happening college hang out, to wash my hand and clean my wound. Then I headed back up route 1 toward the health center. Luckily it was open, the dog had been vaccinated recently, and all was good.

So, the moral of the story is, put sidewalks in and I would have felt a bit more at ease with my bleeding hand while trying to get back to campus. Also, the professor who said it was okay, Alex would be fine, he's friendly? You're an idiot and no wonder you didn't get tenure.

No comments:

Post a Comment