Tuesday, June 15, 2010

les bacteries chez les e'crevisses

I'm a translating fool! How many fish physiologists with expertise in endocrine disprupting chemicals do you know speak French and Portuguese?

A colleague was wading through papers yesterday and several months ago trying to find information regarding some bacterial strain. She is a microbiologist. Under both of these circumstances she was trying to find the main paper that was getting cited over and over in subsequent papers in hopes of elucidating some information regarding the beginnings of when the strain was isolated. Yesterday was a French paper, in the past it was a Brazilian paper. How good I felt when I could say, Oh, you need something translated in Portuguese, I can do that. You need something read and translated in French? I can do that too!

Yesterday's French paper happened to be a strain from some bacteria isolated from crayfish. Moribund crayfish. It described the infection in the hepatopancreas, and the digestive tract and some tubule. It described the strains and what they look like (gram negative, ciliated, size, etc.). A few months ago it was a strain used to ferment something to make a well-known drink famous in the Northeast of Brazil.

Yes, I can read technical biological papers in French and Portugese. I even learned a new word : souche; referring to the strain of the bacteria.

Damn that feels good. Still floating on my translating mega abilities. M'excuser pendant que je jubile.

No comments:

Post a Comment