Thursday, December 9, 2010

Prosperous Fish Swatch

Right before So a few days after I got back from SETAC this year I was loading some laundry into the dryer and my awesome fish watch that my friend got me busted! I caught the hinge of the watch on the door of the dryer and it fell apart. This made me incredibly sad! Not only was I out a watch but this was my swatch watch diver watch with fish on the band...see through and all in typical swatch watch fashion. I rummaged through my other watches but couldn't find one to wear that was working...my other cool glow in the dark vampire swatch watch needs a new battery, my Citizen dive watch my brother got me long ago was in need of a battery but when I took it to the Citizen counter at the mall they said they don't do that and I could take it to a kiosk but the last time I did that the a hole behind the counter mangled my K. Haring watch that also glowed in the dark and I still miss it.

So I thought where else to get a cool retro Swatch watch than Ebay...so off I went to peruse Ebay and I found this:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/150529958905?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=182127029546&crlp=1_263602_304662&UA=WXI7&GUID=ba52cc8c12a0a0b3f8f2ce62ff8e2e84&itemid=150529958905&ff4=263602_304662

Perfect! I love it. Should I get it? Of course, there's a fish on it! So I went to buy it (no need to bid) and I went to use Pay Pal and it was still using my credit card that I previously had listed. I needed to change that. I tried to do so but Pay Pal has this thing where they want to make sure it is you so they "charge" you $1.95 and put a  little code next to that charge on your credit card statement to let you know. They say you can remove the charge (prove it's you) by logging in and typing the code in. That requires looking at your credit card statement. This was the middle of the month. I won't get a credit card statement for another few weeks. If you don't put the code in the charge is permanent!

Pay Pal is an asshole.

Anyway I frantically tried to get my credit card company statement online but Ihavent done that in a year so I didn't remember my password or login or anything...so that required me to call the credit card company, have them check my login, change my password, and then I could view my statement.

Then I had to change my credit card in Pay Pal to remove that nasty $1.95. But I had trouble doing this because the stupid browser kept telling me I had cookies not letting the page refresh...what? So I called Pay Pal. I called (after checking the area code) Nebraska...I was on the phone for 20 minutes with Maria who helped me fix everything. She was sort of annoying and had the worst customer service tone but I got the end result I wanted: removal of the  $1.95 charge.

So I bought my fish watch...it arrived yesterday...perfect! Brand new and I feel whole again with a fish watch on my wrist. But this watch has a crazy symbol on the front I don't know what it is. It looks cool. I tried to google it but didn't get the information I needed. Rather than walk around with a watch with a character on it I could not explain if someone asked me I decided to ask a work colleague. I looked for D or Y, they are both Chinese. I wasn't sure it was a Chinese character but I took the risk. I couldn't find either of them this morning (darn you toxicologists for being busy) but finally tracked down Y this afternoon. I asked him if he could translate the character for me. He said it means "fish"! Some characters in Japanese are Chinese in origin but of course he could tell this one meant "fish". How cool is that? I love my new watch!!!!

Yay!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment